Thruxton Parish Council is a type of local authority found in England which is the first tier of local government. It is an elected body which has variable tax raising powers. The term of office of a Parish Councillor is four years, and councils are elected en bloc. Our Parish Council has 7 seats details of which are given below.
Thruxton Parish Council Members
Peter Christie - Chairman
John Davis - Vice Chairman
Heather Bourner- Clerk
Elections occur every for years the next being in 2023. Vacancies arising between elections can be filled by co-option.
Powers and Duties.
Our Parish Council has the power to precept (tax) residents to support its operations and to carry out local projects. Although there is no limit to the amount that can be precepted, the money can only be raised for a limited number of purposes.
Powers to provide facilities.
Parish Councils have powers to provide some facilities, which can include the following:
- Support and encouragement of arts and crafts
- Provision of Village Halls
- Recreation grounds, parks, children's play areas, playing fields and swimming baths
- Cemeteries and crematoria
- Maintenance of closed churchyards
- Cleaning and drainage of ponds etc.
- Control of litter
- Public conveniences
- Creation and maintenance of footpaths and bridleways
- Provision of cycle and motorcycle parking
- Acquisition and maintenance of rights of way
- Public clocks
- War memorials
- Encouragement of tourism
Our Parish Council must be notified by the district or county council of:
- All planning applications in our Parish
- Proposals to carry out sewerage works
- Footpath and bridleway (more generally, 'rights of way') surveys
- Intention to make bye laws in relation to music and dancing and street naming
Council Finances -
The Council spends your Precept of £15,250 on:
- Clerk’s Wages and Allowances
- Elections - we pay towards County, Borough and Parish Elections
- Subscriptions to Hampshire Local Councils Association
- Hire of War Memorial Hall
- Insurance and Neighbourhood Plan
- Thruxton Times Newsletter
- Training / Courses
- Maintenance of the Village Green
- Maintenance of the Play Area
- Maintaining the Bus Shelters
- Maintaining the Notice Boards
- Provision & maintenance of a defibrillator
- Street Lighting and Maintenance - we own 13 of the Village Street Lights
- and it supports:
- The War Memorial Hall
- Three Villages Sports Trust
- The Church