Thruxton Parish Council
St Peter & St Paul's Church
It is not intended to give a full description of the church in this document because detailed information is available
in the Church, which is open all day every day all year round. However, it is worthy of note that parts of the church date from the 13th and 15th centuries, although much of the present-day appearance is a result of its 19th-century modernisation. There was a significant programme of restoration and alteration to the fabric during the 1980’s and 1990’s, with a continuing maintenance programme supported by a team of interested parishioners, with a complete restoration of the churchyard wall in 2008.
Many of the church’s treasures are in the form of tombs and effigies of some of the Lords and Ladies of the Manor. Of national interest are the early 16th century Lisle Chapel and Tomb as they are fine examples of Renaissance stone carving. Study of these formed a significant part of his doctoral research in 2002 – 2005
by Nicholas Riall, and full details are available. Notable also are two 12th century tombstones; a wooden effigy of Elizabeth Philpott of the late 16th century; and the fine monumental brass figure in full plate armour of Sir John Lisle who died in 1407.
Thruxton Church also has at least seven beautiful stained glass windows by Thomas Willement who was granted
a Royal Warrant by Queen Victoria whom Pugin found too expensive to employ and is regarded as one of the finest exponents of the medieval revivalist style of stained glass windows. Three other stained glass windows
in the Church are by David Evans of Shrewsbury who was almost as highly regarded as Willement.
The earliest bell was given by George Philpott in 1581, and it is believed that this bell was rung in 1588 to warn the neighbourhood of the approach of the Armada. Nowadays the church has a fine peal of six bells that are
For over 850 years this church has been part of village life, and Hampshire County Record Office holds
registers of the baptisms, marriages and burials that have taken place here from 1600 onwards.
The church is now part of the United Benefice of Appleshaw, Thruxton, Kimpton, Fyfield and Shipton Bellinger. and the newt Priest in Charge is Sandra Williams, resident in Shipton Bellinger, who continues to administer the Benefice during the vacancy process. Weekly services are held in the church as well as baptisms, weddings and funerals. Services are also held on special occasions such as Harvest Festival, Remembrance Sunday and Carols by Candlelight. The church supports the Andover Foodbank and a box for donations can be found in the church bell tower. Please contact the churchwardens if you would like any further information: Christine Barrett 07933 352855 or Sue King 07747 061473.
SPRINGTIME IN THRUXTON 2018
Easter Flower Festival
Sunday 1st and Monday 2nd April 2018
Thruxton Church, 10.30am to 4pm
Visitors are invited to enjoy the village church filled with spring flowers
Tea, coffee and cakes available all day
Easter Egg Hunt for children of all ages (50p entry):-
Monday 2nd April 11.30am and 2.30pm
Cream teas available both afternoons from 2pm
All proceeds to Thruxton Church